Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Oh the places you'll go....

Looking back, I've put a lot of miles in my legs this year. They pedaled over a thousand miles this summer, trained for a grueling metric century, explored the California coast, and carried me through Italy for two weeks.

This was the year I discovered road biking and all the quirks that go along with donning spandex in public places while battling for a few inches of pavement. I learned the etiquette of riding with a group (and that some people have an extreme lack thereof). I also learned that sometimes you have to dodge objects thrown at you from car windows (a beer bottle chucked from a Central Hudson utility truck to be exact), and to always be on the lookout for ill-placed roadkill, curbs, and faux bike lanes that suddenly turn into a curb.

This year my passion for mountain biking led me back to Vermont for a week of exploring and relaxing in one of my favorite places. This is also where I got engaged (out of the blue!) to my best friend and biking partner, who I love more than anything. Now we're in the process of moving in together and found a house to rent. And yes, I've already checked bikeroutetoaster for nearby riding routes and hills to conquer. Once the snow melts we have a lot of exploring to do. We'll also hit the road for Vermont to check out wedding venues (time to talk Manolos), but we'll no doubt find some mud, too.

Time to stir up some more adventure in 2009. These legs are ready for anything.

No comments: