Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Winter can wait


I just ordered a pair of these.

Yes, a big, thick pair of cement slabs to block out old man winter's nip as I trudge through the woods in the snow. Every fall it sounds like a good idea to attack winter head-on and ride my way through till spring appears. However, I've yet to find myself pedaling through a snowstorm or even a flurry.

Two years ago, while descending a snow-covered trail that was slowly turning from slush to ice, I slid out, hurling down the hill sideways, until my head finally stopped the show by slamming into a rock. Before long I was convinced that the frozen ground and bare trees were the perfect habitat for a mid-afternoon nap. After a long walk, I finally realized that a few days off didn't sound so bad. At least it
ended with a good excuse to go helmet shopping.

Thanksgiving is sort of the unofficial end of the biking season, as sad as that sounds. I've been pounding the pavement since May, and it's definitely time for a break. Fitness builds with rest, and I haven't taken much more than a week or two off all summer. I was training for events and kept pushing myself week after week. I was reading training books and articles like mad, crunching numbers, and slowly driving myself insane. I was good at ignoring all the little signs of over training.

So as the smell of turkey wafts through the house, I'm reminded to dig in (though I know I'll still be counting my fruits and veggies), take that extra slice of homemade pie, and enjoy the well-deserved break.







No comments: