Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Jersey girl

I'm running out of closet space. When I finally did a massive overhaul of the contents of my walk-in closet, I discovered that for the dozen or so skirts and dresses, there are nearly 40 bike jerseys, pairs of spandex shorts, and mountain bike baggies. Starting at 60 bucks a pop, it's hard not to imagine the sandy beach my hibernating body could be defrosting on right now or the month closer to my retirement party I could be.

But looking at the looming stacks of spandex and zippers is like enjoying a photo album. Each jersey tells a story. My first jersey, emblazoned with the green Brooklyn Brewery label, came from my first bike show in NYC ("70 bucks for a jersey. That's crazy!"). At the show, I mingled with shop owners and company reps, slid my fingers over all-carbon components, and talked to fellow riders as I was suddenly hooked on bike culture.

Jerseys tell everyone on the road or the trail of our loyalties. My jerseys have two distinct themes: Kona bikes and microbreweries. The Kona world champion cyclocross jersey is a brilliant splash of red, white, and blue. I've come to collect three Magic Hat Brewery jerseys, all bearing their odd pastel designs, and causing whoever's drafting me to crave their frosty brews. The few jerseys that are solid colors look so plain next to ones that announce an allegiance to a bike club, races, and coffee companies. Then there are jerseys, like one from a bike shop in Florence, that still bear the original tags. It was a unique find (and the dollar was extremely weak!), and no sweat or mud will ever touch it.

But do I really need a jersey for every day of the month? Hell yes! Every ride commands a unique wear. Dark colors are necessary for rainy, muddy days. Road rides demand tight jerseys, and then there's sleeveless for the blood boiling summer days. The jersey is so simple, yet the perfect riding companion, complete with a zipper for the right amount of ventilation, and back pockets to hide quick snacks and a cell phone. To this rider, they are worth every penny.

4 comments:

Mike said...

I'm not a rider - I'm a runner - but I totally identify. I have a drawer full of running gear (spandex tights, short shorts, tanks, long-sleeves, windbreakers, neck warmers, a collection of socks, pouches, etc.) that all were over-priced, but are also all completely necessary.

The nice thing, though, is I generally get free gear every time I run a race. The best ones will give out wicking tees and shirts, that I can actually use on the road. So each outfit carries memories...

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I was wondering what ever happened to your column at MBT. Don't vanish on us again! :-)
Denny

grog said...

I once read a biker blogger disrespect the Grateful Dead jerseys. As I newbie, I wonder why?
My own philosophy is that commercial businesses should be paying us to advertise with our shirts and jerseys. (As you say: $70 for a jersey is crazy). I wear plain colors, no advertising for 20 bucks.

Travels with my Mule said...

talented writer........have you retired????